One of my favorite tequila cocktails is Tequila Sunrise. This is a great brunch cocktail that is not only good for summer but all year around. It’s a beautiful looking cocktail and it only uses 3 ingredients, so it is a simple tequila sunrise recipe.
This cocktail is a classic cocktail recipe. It is a great go to. According to wikipedia, it was ingredients were different in the original tequila sunrise, which are tequila, creme de cassis, lime juice, and soda water, and first served at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel by Gene Sulit, who created the in the 1930s or 1940s.
These are the following ingredients you need for a Tequila sunrise cocktail –
- orange juice
- grenadine syrup
- orange slice and maraschino cherry for garnish
- highball glass
How to Make a Tequila Sunrise
Pour in the tequila and orange juice in a highball glass filled with ice and stir. Pour the grenadine into the center of the drink and it will sink to the bottom. Stir gently for sunrise gradient effect. Enjoy
Tips and Tricks
There are a few variations of making a Tequila sunrise. Here are a few cocktail recipes to try.
Virgin Tequila Sunrise
Make it a virgin by simply omitting the tequila and replace it will Sprite. Making it a mocktail for your non drinking guests is thoughtful idea to include those who still want to enjoy a yummy beverage.
Mexican Sunrise Drink aka Corona Sunrise
The cool thing about this cocktail is that you can use the beer bottle to make the cocktail. And if you are a Corona fan that you will enjoy this variation. You’ll need – tequila, orange juice, grenadine, lime and lime juice. The tequila makes it a sunrise and orange juice makes the “sunrise” of the drink.
- Drink Corona down to the top of the label
- Add tequila.
- Add orange juice halfway up to the neck.
- Add a splash of grenadine.
- Squeeze the lime juice the lime into the bottle.
- Cover the top of the bottle and gentle flip down and up to mix ingredients. Add lime wedge and enjoy.
Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots
You can make a mini version with shots. Make shots for a gathering or pregaming. You’ll need – tequila, orange juice, grenadine syrup, hot water, and orange jello.
- Add jello to boiling water and stir until dissolved. Allow mixture to cool.
- After cooldown, add tequila and orange juice. Stir and pour into shot glasses.
- Add a splash of grenadine and place in refrigerator to set.
Swap out the orange juice and use pineapple juice to make another tropical sunrise cocktail.
Similar to a sunrise, a tequila sunset has the same ingredients.The difference is the addition of soda water. To make a tequila sunset, add a splash of soda water mixed with grenadine. The cocktail will have the red hue at the top instead of the bottom. Also, sometimes blackberry brandy is used in place of the grenadine in the sunset drink.
Make a pitcher
Yes, you can make a pitcher. Make a pitcher for a gathering simply by using 1 cup of tequila for every 2 cups of orange juice or use 1 cup of tequila for every 3 cups of orange juice to soften the alcohol. Each guest can add their own grenadine.
- 2 ounces tequila
- 4 ounces orange juice
- 3/4 ounce grenadine syrup
- orange and maraschino cherries for garnish
- Pour in the tequila and orange juice in a highball glass and stir. Pour the grenadine into the center of the drink and it will sink to the bottom. Stir gently for sunrise gradient effect.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 34gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
TRY THESE RELATED COCKTAILS